ACC Help for disabled

If you’re disabled and get injured, you can apply for help from ACC – whether or not you’re getting Ministry of Health (MoH) funded support.  Many disabled people aren’t aware they’re covered by ACC. But like everyone else in New Zealand, those with a pre-existing disability are entitled to seek ACC’s help following an injury – no matter where or how the injury happens.

If you receive MOH-funded support, this doesn’t affect your entitlement to ACC help either – you can get ACC assistance on top of your MoH support.

The help ACC can provide ranges from payments towards medical and physiotherapy costs, to things like home help, personal care and transport to and from treatment.  What help you can get depends on the nature of your injury and your particular circumstances.

Joe – a case study

Here’s an example that shows how ACC is able to help.  Joe is a wheelchair user with muscular dystrophy, who receives disability support services from MoH. One day, Joe falls out of his wheelchair and breaks his hip.
Joe’s doctor fills out an ACC claim form on his behalf, and Joe is able to get various types of help from ACC while he recovers from his injury – without it affecting his MoH support.

For example, ACC pays for the ambulance that takes Joe to hospital, helps pay for the treatment required for his broken hip, and also contributes to Joe’s travel costs to and from treatment.

Once Joe has recovered from his injury, ACC’s assistance stops, but he continues to get uninterrupted MoH support before, during and after his ACC claim.

Get help promptly for injuries.  If you get injured, it’s important to get treatment as soon as possible. When you do, the doctor or nurse will help you fill out an ACC claim form.  Once ACC receives this form, they’ll contact you by phone or letter to let you know if your claim is accepted. If it is, ACC will work with you and your health professional to make sure you get the support and medical care you need.

To find out more about ACC services and entitlements, visit: or call 0800 101 996.
Story courtesy of Disability Services E-Newsletter November 2007

Published 21/11/2007