Are you enrolled to vote? Who can enrol and vote? You need to enrol if you: - are 18 years or older, and - are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and - have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time.
Some key information:
You need to be enrolled to vote.
- Only people who are enrolled can vote in the General Election.
- You can enrol after 23 August but you won’t get your EasyVote card.
- You can enrol right up to Friday 22 September, including at an advance voting place, but not on election day itself.
Enrolling or updating your details is easy. To get an enrolment form:
- Visit elections.org.nz
- Freetext your name and address to 3676
- Call free 0800 36 76 56
- Go into any PostShop
Voting in the 2017 General Election.
- You can vote from Monday 11 September to Friday 22 September at any advance voting place. You can also enrol, check or update your details at the same time.
- On election day, Saturday 23 September, all voting places will be open from 9.00am to 7.00pm.
- Information about where and when to vote, and who you can vote for, will be available from Wednesday 30 August at elections.org.nz or by calling 0800 36 76 56. It will also be included in your EasyVote pack.
- You can vote at any voting place in the country, but you may need to fill in an extra form if you vote outside of your electorate
Can you get help to vote if you need it?
You can get help from a friend, family or an electoral official. A support person can come with you when you vote. They can go behind the voting screen with you, and can read out the words and information on the voting papers. The support person can also mark the voting papers for you if you ask them to. But they can’t tell you who you should vote for.
To locate your nearest wheelchair accessible polling booth click here. You will find a list of polling booths in Northland with either a wheelchair symbol, a wheelchair symbol with a person pushing the chair, or no accessible indicator.
For more comprehensive information see the downloadable pdf below:
|Guide to enrolling and voting in the 2017 General Election||3 MB|